July 29, 2008

Love Those Begonias

While gardening in hot, humid Kansas City presents its challenges, the various forms of begonias area joy. They seem to thrive in sun and shade, can handle dry conditions and bloom profusely. Where my impatiens ( in deep shade) seem to faint by afternoon despite being watered in the morning, the begonias are happily spreading their charm.

In the last couple of years, I have become a fan of the dragon wing begonia especially. I particularly like the one with deep red blooms. It flourishes in pots and in the ground. While I don't have any in full sun, I have them in half day sun and in deep shade and both are glorious. Adding a diamond frost euphorbia from Proven Winners makes for a beautiful pot.

I often have pot envy as I drive by flourishing pots at commercial establishments because they don't have the one plant that isn't doing well amongst some that have gotten a bit too large. I attribute this largely to constant maintenance by landscaping companies that can switch out plants with full size specimens as problems develop. None the less I would love for mine to look that good all the time too.

I am always on the alert for a pot that I might be able to replicate in my yard. In the meantime, the begonias keep me sane.

No comments: