February 3, 2010

Coffee Grounds

Something I am going to try this year is adding coffee grounds to my garden. I recently read that in the spring, you can spread handfuls of coffee grounds around acid-loving plants such as my azaleas and rhododendrons. The grounds are slightly acidic and so they help lower the soil pH. The grounds also should improve the soil texture to a humus consistency that these plants like. As a coffee drinker, I have a source but the church where I work also is saving the grounds from its coffee makers for people to pick up for free (bring your own container). If you aren't a coffee drinker, several coffee houses are now providing the grounds, and a bag to take them home in. It does seem that I could quickly outdistance the amount of grounds I need. But they also can be added to a compost pile. My rhododendron wasn't as healthy looking last year so I am hopeful this will give it just the zip it needs.

No comments: